Wednesday 23 March 2011

Day 10 - "Why Are You Dressed Like That?"



Last day today. I feel weird. Similar to the feeling I get the last day of fasting before Eid every year. Kinda like... even though you're happy that things are finally going back to normal, you're overwhelmed by an unexpected wave of melancholy at the prospect of losing the little bit of solace and humility that has surprisingly inhabited you over the duration of your "intervention." 


Even though I feel most like myself when I express who I am through the intricate art form of dress, I look at the process with a wider gaze now. This fucking qurta is comfortable, man. And when I wear it, I feel less vain. With no vanity, with no pressure to impress or get double takes as I walk through the corridors of my daily routine... I feel at ease. Calm. Almost... more like myself. Isn't that weird? I guess if physical expressions of self through dress are my yin, then this valuable lesson is most definitely my yang:


"We can dress the body for a lifetime, but our souls are naked for eternity."


I just made that up. Plans to copyright are pending. 
Anyway, two interesting developments today. 


INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT 1


I walk upstairs for breakfast this morning in full autopilot mode. Halfway through breakfast my dad says in a groggy voice, "Why are you dressed like that?"
I hadn't even realised that I got dressed already. I explained the assignment to him and that was that. To think just just a few days ago I was smuggling myself out of my house as if it was Alcatraz. 


INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT 2


Remember when I said nobody would ever see my embarrassing, curly hair?


.......


Shut up.





5 comments:

  1. some article babes, after reading what u wrote, its clear that the point of this assignment has been achieved by your new state of mind or at least by making you feel comfortable without ur additionals..well done! Also you should consider writing on a more serious level, you are very good with words, got me hanging on the edge of my blackberry lol hope u get full marks :)

    Ps: love the pic, curly hair is way hotter

    Faiedah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... you're too sweet. Thanx for the compliment, once again. I gotta admit... when I first started this assignment, I didn't really see the point of it. I do now.

    Would you ever consider doing something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure hey, my beliefs are very similar to urs, more spiritual than religious, for one I can't see myself wearing a scarf because I don't see the logic in me covering my hair so u won't look at me? I don't mind covering up my body because I do feel more comfortable in that way, I won't lie I am afraid of being judged especially in the environment I work in but maybe I wud just to see the looks on their faces lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMW Riez .... had so much fun reading this.... what an interesting why to show how we bound to our own insecurities, by the fact that we need to accessories to make us feel just a TAD bit better ... lol
    I must admit I feel like two completely different people when I have my "TOP" on as oppose to my "NORMAL" clothes

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Yes YOU have absolutely "MAD" writing skills. Had me searching and searching for the next addition .... So keep it up. Your a Master with the pen ...eerm Keyboard that is ... lol

    ReplyDelete