Friday 18 March 2011

Day 5 - The Idea

I stay in Walmer Estate, which has a pretty orthodox, Muslim community. The shop up the road from me, Ali G’s Videos (I kid you not) is owned by the orthodoxest of the orthodoxes. The old lady who sits behind the counter in her ever-present scarf shall be my first victim. Here’s my plan. I will dress in full Riezness (hair, clothes, accessories, the works), walk into the store, analyze her expression, then go home immediately, don my intervention suit and go back to the shop to see her reaction. Then I’m going to repeat the process at the Waterfront. I’ll take my clothes with, change in the men’s room and observe how people respond to me in each context.

I’m going home now then to the Waterfront later today for some last minute shopping for my little brother’s matric ball tomorrow, so my itinerary’s sorted! Gotta run! Shit wait… I’m in flip-flops. Gotta umm… jog!


No comments:

Post a Comment