Sunday 20 March 2011

Day 7 - I Dress Therefore I Am?



Whoops! I was so rushed yesterday that I forgot to tell you how my plan went! Ahem…

So I rock up at Ali G’s looking like a rockstar and the aunty behind the counter immediately glances at my earrings, then doesn’t make any eye contact with me for the remaining duration of our transaction. Weird. So I go home, change and go back. Her confused expression when she saw me looked like a cross between “WTF” and “I think your twin brother was just here.” This time, however… she was looking at me. Smiling, even. I found this really interesting. Our appearances seem to be a very direct expression of our beliefs, our personalities and what we stand for. I dress, therefore I am? She immediately identified my attire as congruent to her own and accepted me the second time around. Does this then mean that our choice in dress is a statement of the kind of people we invite into our space on a more personal level, as well as a request to be invited in by people of the same creed?

The Waterfront, I found, was a lot less enlightening. The cultural demographic made either of my two appearances equally acceptable. To think, that embarrassing slip in the men’s room was all for nothing. Bleh…




No comments:

Post a Comment